My Dog has Arthritis in his Hind Rear Paws. The Paws are Clicking and Knuckling Over. What Should I Do?
If your dog has arthritis in their back paws it can be painful and make it hard for your dog to walk. Arthritis is a medical condition which usually does not get better over time, therefore it is important to make your dog as comfortable as possible with the condition.
Signs your dog might have arthritis:
- Painful joints
- Swollen joints
- Lameness or limping
- Difficult getting up of lying down
- Joint clicking
- Relutance to climb up or down (stairs, outside etc)
It is important to make your dog as comfortable as possible so they are not in pain.
Help your dog with arthritis in their paws:
- Get good dog boots with extra thick padding - Your dog can wear them around the house or on walks. As arthritis is painful, their joints must be as comfortable as possible. The extra cushioning means they can walk more easily and for longer: https://zoomadog.co.uk/collections/boots
- A good orthopaedic dog bed - Make sure your dog has a good deep bed, which is soft and will make it extra comfortable for their joints: https://zoomadog.co.uk/products/memory-foam-dog-bed-100-x-70cm-grey
- Joint supplements - Find a joint supplement. Supplements which include glucosamine and chondroitin support joint health and reduce arthritic symptoms. In addition, research has shown that foods that provide high levels of omega-3 fatty acids can also help decrease inflammation.
- Physiotherapy - Physical therapy and rehabilitation exercises can really help to improve joint function and ease pain. Alternative therapies such as acupuncture and chiropractic manipulation can also have great results.
- Orthopedic aids - Orthopaedic beds, ramps, slings and braces etc. can all help improve your dog's comfort
Read more about Arthritis here and How to Help at home here: https://zoomadog.co.uk/collections/arthritis
If your dogs paw are curling and dragging, it may be another medical condition called Degenerative Myelopathy. This is most common in German Shepherds, French Bulldogs and other breeds. Read more about Degenerative Myelopathy here: https://zoomadog.co.uk/collections/degenerative-myelopathy
Looking for help with your dog?
We can help find the right solution for your dog
Feel free to give us a call on 01730 622544
or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org